Navigate

Tuesday, April 08, 2003

Book review: Seasons of Grief & Grace: A Sister's Story of AIDS, by Susan Ford Wiltshire.

I live in Lubbock, Texas, where much of this story takes place, and I happen to know some of the people Dr. Ford mentions. But that was hardly the only reason I wanted to read this compassionate biography. Dr. Ford shows how her brother bravely faced AIDS and the bigotry related to it.

Despite its subject matter, this book is never depressing. Instead, Dr. Ford captures the inspirational aspects of her brother’s life and how it touched the lives of people around him. I found her poems about his struggle especially touching and hope she’ll share more of those in another book.

I’ve just added Seasons of Grief and Grace to my newly updated Listmainia list Facing Illness or Disability.

If you like Seasons…, you might also like my project The Acorn Gathering: Writers Uniting Against Cancer.