Navigate

Friday, December 27, 2002

Leaving 2002 in America



With 2003 approaching, we can’t help but look back at the events of 2002 in America. We saw people abusing various positions of power. For example, certain religious leaders not only hid crimes but also allowed more atrocities and sometimes even demonized the victims. Certain politicians used the bully pulpit for speaking words of bigotry. Certain business executives deceived or exploited investors, while cutting the jobs of many employees. And, around the world, terrorism continued.

Okay, all the above could really describe countless years.

But we see more and more people standing up against all the injustices I just listed. More people than ever seem to say, “We don’t want that, and we will work for change, no matter what the cost.”

People working for justice. People working for peace. Look around, and you’ll see them.

In my personal experience, I saw an outpouring of support for my charity project The Acorn Gathering: Writers Uniting Against Cancer. When terrible storms or other tragedies struck communities, I watched or read the news reports about neighbors and strangers pitching in to help.

I never doubt America’s greatness. Still, more and more, I see reminders of what makes her great: her people, and their ambition for a still greater America.