Navigate

Monday, December 09, 2002

This is my fiftieth blog entry! And here’s something special to celebrate!

Since I’ve written a great deal here about writers and books, it’s time to hear from another writer. I interviewed D. L. Browne, an author who writes mystery novels under the names Colin Dunne and Diana Killian. She offered insights into publishing, pen names, gay characters, book promotion, and many other topics. As I’ve mentioned before, I’m not usually a fan of mystery writers, but I’ve found some exceptions, and I want to introduce you to one of them.

But first, please read my review of her novel Murder In Pastel.

Book Review: Murder In Pastel by Colin Dunne

Colin Dunne cleverly blends a painting's subject with the story of some gay friends and the story of a missing artist (and his missing painting). The resulting tale always intrigues, with a focus on strong dialogue and character development. You don't have to be gay to enjoy this book. Nor do you have to like mystery novels. Just the characters and conflicts that start the novel would have kept my attention, but the added dimension of the murder and the painting made me read quickly to the surprising twists of the novel's closing chapters.

Interview: D. L. Browne Unravels the Mysteries of Writing