Navigate

Monday, November 18, 2002

Movie review: Harry Potter

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets opened to near-record audiences, and deservedly so. Besides a perfect cast, this magical movie blends humor and scares in a wholesome package that all ages can love. Most “family” movies really only appeal to children. But here is one aimed at children that is just as exciting for anyone who loves escapist fare. As with the first movie, my favorite scenes are the scary ones in the forest.

I have to admit that I didn’t like the first movie in the beginning. The Cinderella situation with Harry’s relatives bored me with its familiarity, and director Chris Columbus dragged that part out. However, once Harry arrived at the train station, I fell in love with J. K. Rowling’s fantasy world. In the second film, Columbus uses the family situation to re-introduce us to Harry and his background, but then quickly moves him into a series of amusing and sometimes dark adventures.

I still have too many other books to read to add the Potter books to my reading list, but I certainly look forward to the next movie, and suggest this movie for anyone of any age who wants an entertaining escape!